Sunday, March 13, 2011

Japan Earthquake and Tsunami

Well it never fails.  I start my plate tectonics unit and there is a very distructive earthquake that occurs.  Last year it was Haiti.  My father, who travelled to Japan on business for I.B.M. tells me that the Japanese are very prepared for an earthquake.  Unfortunately, it seems that there is no real way to prepare for a tsunami.  It is a very sad situation.  My class really had a hard time seeing footage of cars that were travelling on a road seemingly unaware of the wall of water and debris coming right at them. 
For those of you who want to know more about how a tsunami forms here is a good site.
This site actually has a science experiment about water depth and wave velocity.  It also has a national geographic video about killer tsunamis.  Probably not something I would show in class as it has people being swept away.
Science Buddies

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Design by Custom Blog Designs